Lemon and poppy mini cakes recipeWednesday, March 18, 2015
The other day I tried to make some lemon and poppy seed muffins but they came out more like mini cakes. I didn't use self raising flour or baking powder, which I guess is the reason why. They came out pretty good anyway so I thought I'd share this recipe with you.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- Juice and zest of 2 medium lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup non-fat or low-fat Greek or regular yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Lay muffin pan with muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients flour, brown sugar and poppy seeds together until thoroughly mixed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, lemon juice and lemon zest together until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together but make sure not to overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. I didn't fill them all the way to the top so mine came out quite thin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the tops are lightly golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
I like to have a couple of cakes with my Australian Bush Tea. They are such a nice treat and they are a good change to always baking with chocolate.