Healthy Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting // ChristmasSaturday, December 12, 2015
I came up with a healthy cupcake recipe that I might use as an alternative to my usual Christmas baking. I also bought these beautiful gold and green foil cases from Amazon - they make my cupcakes so Christmasy!
It's an easy recipe and doesn't take long to make. I think the most fun part about baking cupcakes is decorating. I picked up these Milk Chocolate Multi Coloured Sprinkles (mini jazzies) from Tesco especially for Christmas and they were only £1!
I am really happy with how my cupcakes came out - they are so fluffy, light and don't taste overly sweet. I can actually taste all of the flavours and they are perfect to have with a hot chocolate!
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic self raising flour (or a combination of plain and self raising flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 big tablespoon of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Layer muffin tin with cupcake cases. Set aside.
- Mash bananas. I like to leave some banana chunks in.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, brown sugar, honey, eggs, Greek Yogurt, almond milk and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Use a sieve to whisk in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Lightly whisk until combined. Try not to overstir the batter or the cupcakes won't have a soft texture.
- Fill the cupcake cases up half way (or between 3/4 full when using plain flour).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the icing. Just combine all of the ingredients (peanut butter, Greek Yogurt and coconut sugar) together in a small bowl and put it in the fridge to harden.
- Cupcakes are ready to come out when golden brown on top. To be sure, test with a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out clean then they are done.
- Let them cool for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Decorate the cupcakes.