Apple and Almond Butter cupcakes // recipeSunday, March 13, 2016
It has been almost two months since I last blogegd and I've been missing it a lot! The beginning of the year has been quite hectic for me. I will share more about the year so far later but at the moment I want to share an amazing cupcake recipe I came up with recently!
You will all know by now that I am trying to eat as clean as possible, so I'm always trying to invent something new with healthy ingredients I find in my kitchen. I usually have some small jars of nut butters laying around in the cupboard, just because they are super easy to use in baking. I've noticed that they make muffins and cupcakes moist and soft, so they work as a good substitute for regular dairy butter.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together - eggs, apple sauce, almond milk, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and almond butter. Don't forget to stir after adding each ingredient.
- Using a whisk, gently stir in the self raising flour and baking soda. Lastly, add the sugar.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cases, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes then add the icing and decorate your cupcakes as desired.